Tuesday, May 17, 2016

A New Adventure

May is typically a crazy month for teachers like myself.  Yet sitting at my desk today, eating my Caprese salad for lunch (YUM!), checking my email and trying to do 3 other things all before the kids came back from lunch, I had a wacky idea to start this blog.

Fast forward a few hours.  Track practice is over and I know I have no vegetables at home......the dreaded stop at the grocery store at 5 o'clock and I have no list.  I wander the produce section looking for signs of good looking veggies.  I manage to find a few things that pass my picky eye.


In 40 minutes I had dinner.  Sweet and sour chicken with stir fry veggies.  I'm not much on measuring when I cook, but here are my measurements.

Oven Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken

2 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
1/4 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 inch long piece of ginger grated
hot sauce to taste
sprinkle of cornstarch ( 1 teaspoon)
pinch of red pepper flake

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and put in a glass dish sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

Stir Fry Veggies

1 large onion sliced
1 yellow squash cut in strips
1 red or yellow pepper chopped
2 cloves garlic cut in small pieces
1 cup frozen green beans or peas
salt and pepper to taste
splash of low sodium soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce

Cook veggies in a large pan with about a tablespoon of olive or vegetable oil.  You can cook them in any order you like.  I like to cook the onions and garlic for a few minutes first, then adding the pepper and frozen veggies.  I add the squash last so it doesn't get mushy.  When the veggies are done to my liking I add the soy or Worcestershire sauce and cook for a minute.

Serve with rice if you'd like but it makes quite a meal on its own!  I would say I will get at least 4 meals from the chicken alone!

Enjoy!!

~Catherine


No comments:

Post a Comment